Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bipolar and Pets?

We all have heard how wonderful are. How they aid those who are experiencing depression. Comfort the lonely etc. I love my dog by the way. He has been a huge comfort to me in times of deep depression. Just the always constant companion.

So are pets good for your mental health? I'm no expert but I'm going to say yes! Now my dog has not taken away my bipolar symptoms and I'm sure your pet hasn't as well. So why are they good for our health?
1. It forces us to take care of something other than ourselves. Antidote to selfishness.
2. It forces us to get outside. This is very helpful during depression. Dogs need healthy walks and lo and behold the walks are healthy for us too. Sunshine, fresh air, and exercise.
3. Dogs make you feel like your the most important person in the world. Unconditional love. They are so excited to see you. They want to sit on your lap or at least around you. This boosts our own feelings of self worth. Its nice to be the center of attention even if its from a dog.
4. We are not alone. They provide companionship. You can play with your dog. Talk to your dog. Pet your dog. Just having that feeling that your not alone.

These are some ideas I came up with. I'm sure there's more. Having my pet has been enjoyable. I recommend it. Cats or dogs or any other pet that you would enjoy could be your ticket to a better day. Think about it. It is a big commitment and at times some work but it can be well worth it.

Let me know how your pet has helped your mental health. I would love to hear from you.                                       this song says it all <3  press on this link to listen <3

Love
Bipolar Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment