Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Depression and Guilt

Do you ever feel guilty for being depressed? I do. As much as I know that it is not my fault that I am depressed I somehow feel like I can snap myself out of it. I want to stay in bed. I feel guilty. I dont want to do anything. I feel guilty. I have no motivation. I feel guilty. I feel so lazy. I feel guilty.

I know we know this but I'm going to say it agian. Depression is not your fault, just like mania and bipolar is not your fault. If we could control it I know we would. Who wants to feel depressed? Who wants out of control mania running their life?

So what do we do when depression marries guilt? Know deep down in your heart that this feeling of depression; this lack of motivation; this heaviness is not your fault and you can not just snap out of it even when you put forth your best efforts. The word guilt means: the fact of having committed a breach of conduct especially violating law and involving penalty. 2 the state of one who has commited an offense especially consciously. So, did we wake up depressed on purpose. Did we ask for this heaviness and lack of motivation. Do we put our own punishment on ourselves for feeling this way? Yes I think alot of the times we do. We punish our own self for an illness we did not create.

We must stop if we are to gain some well being. I think this could be the best time to do something nice for ourself. Give ourself a break. For some it may be taking the day off. Watch movies, eat popcorn. For some of us we may have to push ourself to go for a walk or a drive; get out of the house. But the last thing we should be doing is beating ourself up. The best thing we can do is know and say to ourself that this will pass. I may not be feeling well right now but depression doesnt last forever with bipolar, I will feel good agian. I just need to endure this with a good attitude. I will not feel guilty about a crime that I did not commit.

So have a little candy. Be extra nice to yourself. Dont listen to negitive voices, including your own. Know that this too shall pass. Know that you can catch up on your to do list later. ( At least most of us) Keep on keeping on. Give yourself a hug. You are not guilty for feeling depressed or for not having the ability to not be depressed.

I hope this finds you encouraged
Love
Bipolar Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment